Güneşköy : In 2000 a group of us set up Turkey’s first Ecological Cooperative, bought 75 000 m2 of land from the state, and began developing the site. Guneskoy was the first Turkish full member of the Global Ecovillage Network, and has inspired many. It is currently being “rail-roaded”: the Ankara-Sivas High Speed Train track is being built directly through the centre of our land, three of the concrete ‘feet’ (90m tall on our land) are nearly completed (February 2018), to carry the second highest viaduct in Turkey…
- Güneşköy Flowers: Nature’s beauty, diversity and resilience in photos I have taken since 2004.
- “An Ecovillage-Initiative and its Interact” Theresa Weitzhofer-Yurtışık (2012, MSc in Sociology, University of Vienna)
Turkish hiking trails ‘Culture Routes in Turkey‘
- Design for Play – a guide to creating successful play areas
- NL: Environment and Education
Places to visit:
- PS – Palestine Museum of Natural History, set up in summer 2014 and growing rapidly in many ways – creative!
- PT – Estufa Fria (Lisbon): the most amazing greenhouse I have seen. It now has information in English.
- UK – CAT: Centre for Alternative Technology. ‘The first year of CAT‘, ‘The reunion, centre for alternative technology‘ BBC radio.
- USA – Brooklyn Grange urban farms, roof top gardens, green roofs etc.
- Barefoot College helping rural communities becomes self-sufficient. Sanjit “Bunker” Roy, founder of Barefoot College, giving a TED conference.
- Trophic cascades: `How Wolves Change Rivers`
- The Man who Planted Trees (Jean Giono)
- BuyMeOnce products that are guaranteed to last a life time
- Grand Designs– Self build homes documented by Channel4 . Most consider the environment.
- And a beautiful 14 minute film WİNTER’S WATCH about doing a job I’d never thought of before: facing the profound solitude of winter, with “that immediate connection to the natural world”.
And if absolutely necessary: